Now that you have an agent running, you need to configure it to start collecting telemetry and shipping it to your preferred destination.
To setup a configuration for the agent, navigate to the Configs tab and click New Configuration.
You'll now be in the configuration wizard.
- Give your config a name (see naming rules below)
- Choose a platform for it to run on that corresponds to your agent(s)
- You can optionally add a description for the config, then click Next
Note: Rules for naming configs.
- must be 63 characters or less
- must begin and end with an alphanumeric character ( [a-z0-9A-Z] )
- can contain dashes ( - ), underscores ( _ ), dots ( . ), and alphanumerics between
Next we’ll add sources to our configuration. Sources are where you’d like to collect metric, logs, or traces from. To keep it simple we’re going to start by collecting some host metrics using the Host source.
- Click Add Source
- Choose “Host”
- Choose the metrics you’d like to collect
- Click Save when you’re all done
Click Save when you're done with the source configuration. You can add more sources, click on existing ones to see their configuration and edit or remove them, or click Next to move on to adding a destination.
The last step is to add a destination. This is where you’d like to ship your telemetry to for storage or analysis. BindPlane OP supports most popular destination out of the box. You can find a full list here.
For this example, we're going to show you how to configure a Google Cloud destination.
- Click Add Destination
- Select "Google Cloud" from the list of destinations
- Enter a name (corresponding with the same naming rules listed above)
- Fill in your Project ID
- Select the desired authentication method
If the VM running your BindPlane agent is already in Google Cloud, then you can leave the authentication method to auto.
Creating a credentials file for Google Cloud
A Google Cloud Service Account can used for authentication by creating a service account and key.
Create a service account with the following roles:
- Metrics: roles/monitoring.metricWriter
- Logs: roles/logging.logWriter
- Traces: roles/cloudtrace.agent
Create a service account json key and place it on the system that is running the collector.
- Click Save to save the destination
- Click Save again to finish building your configuraiton
The next page is the Details page for the config you just created. At the bottom of the page in the Agents section,
- Click the + icon to add an agent.
- Select which agents you'd like to apply the config to
- Click Apply
Now that you've built your configuration and specified the agents it should be applied to, you need to Rollout the configuration. Rollouts are how we deploy configuration changes to our agents.
Simply click "Start Rollout" and your configuration will be sent down to your agent(s)!
Congratulations! You've successfully setup and configured BindPlane OP, and you should now see telemetry flowing into your destination. If you ran into any issues during setup, please reach out to us on Slack and we’d be happy to help.
Once you’ve configured your basic pipeline, we can start to explore the real power of BindPlane OP: routing, transforming, and reducing your telemetry data.
Updated 3 months ago